Called out

I was.
I was finally called out for my lengthy absence from my jewelery blog. I've been in a funk, yes I has. And although I have been beading, I certainly haven't felt like my old creative self in a long time. I've also recently decided to part with one of my greatest stressors, also known as my 'day job'. It was time. Well, overdue, but that's just a different tale altogether... Anyway, I'm hoping that I'll be back to me soon.

I don't know about you, but as a beadworker, and jewelery designer, I've always been at a loss as to what I could make as presents for my guy loved ones. And to tell you the truth, I don't have a whole lot of 'metrosexuals' in my immediate circle of family and friends. My dad not being into chatchkas at all (I don't have room for THAT! lol!), the only thing I've ever made with him in mind was a crocheted chapelet with a three-dimensional cross. He liked it, but it's not 'him', you know? Anyway, as some of you might know, he's an avid wood worker, and so I thought I'd like to make something that combined my craft with a medium he loves: Wood!

As luck would have it, my friend Kirsten had a ready (and sizable) stash of wooden beads. HUGE wooden beads. What the heck could I make with those? The previous few weeks, I had been playing around trying to figure out Valerie Hector's 'Cornerless Cubes' . I did figure them out eventually. I really thought they were going to be like the Plum blossoms I've done, but this was something else to work out (and it only took me, oh, 3,492 tries to figure it out...).


So I got started, with the huge beads. And I liked it so much, I just kept making more and more and more forms; blossoms, cornerless cubes, diamond shapes, and even cubes! I just played around with different sized/colored/shaped beads. I played around with different colored threads to see the effects. And here is a sample of some of them. I think my favorite part is how much Mimi likes to play with them.




Isn't this the strangest perspective of a cube? It doesn't even LOOK like a cube!


These two are meant to be used like dice, with every colored face representing whatever number you assign to it... What do you think?

Now, these are all self-supporting armatures, no base in any of them. I think my dad will like them. I can just see them on display in one of his wooden bowls on his coffee table. They'd be cool toys for small and big kids alike. ;)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like those, Jewels! Looks like you've been busy! Playing....

Valerie
They look like models of molecules...
Unknown said…
Thanks Jodie!
Unknown said…
Val!
Hi! Long time no see, eh?

Yup! busy playing, packing, house hunting... To tell you the truth, I HAD to play with the beads, I was starting to feel like I was losing my marbles...

Hey, can you beads with those? LOL!
Unknown said…
LOL!
They do look strange, but in smaller form, they're pretty cool to look at. Would be neat to have a full bracelet or necklace made up entirely of them.
jin said…
These are very cool! So creative and colourful!

Popular Posts