The New Quadra Beads

Well, technically, not so new, since I started making them about 6 years ago... But I hadn't really made that many in the last little while, until people started asking for them that is. I'm thinking the fact that this one is on my business card is why people are really starting to show more interest in them:
I used to believe that the fun part in making them, was that it was a great way to go through odds and ends beads, left over from other projects. But now, I'm getting custom requests for them, which is sending me all over town in the search for particular stones or colors... More often than not now, it's "Do you think you could make one with these colors?", or "I really like this, but can you make it smaller?"

Ah, the joys of offering custom work. I'm on the fence with custom actually. I mean, I don't mind doing it at all, but whenever I get requests for custom work in front of an impossibly colorful array of my already existing work, it just drives the "You can't please ALL people ALL the time" point home, you know? From my very first craft show, when this lady had about 8 different sets of a particular design to choose from, she STILL asked if I could make one in a different color! Gives you that "Can't win" feeling, non? ;)

Anyway, here are the newest ones I've just completed:

Turquoise, wood, silver, and glass beads.

Ceramic, lace stone, wood, copper, and glass beads.
This one has a different shape. It's the same pattern, but the different sized beads gave it more of a 'flying saucer' shape, as my DH likes to say.

Coral, wood, silver, and glass beads.

Jasper, lace stone, wood, copper, and glass beads.


Same beads as the one above, but changing the sizes of the end beads brought it back to the original design's shape.


This is cute: Large round frosted glass, with wood, silver, and glass beads.

I just got an order for a few more, custom of course. And wouldn't you know it? I've been asked to 'tweak' the design just a touch. This person LOVES my Quadra beads, but she likes to be able to see them from the top, as opposed to sideways, which is how I wear them, just strung on a silver snake chain. No biggie, it's manageable, but still, it still drives that point home. LOL!

Now, if you'll excuse me, the timer just went off, and I've got to remove these eye patches I've been sporting for the last 30 minutes. (I absolutely LOVE these BTW! They totally take the puffy sleepy eye look away! I keep mine in the fridge. Double whammy of depuffing power!) Hey! Nothing like multi-tasking in the morning, am I right? ;)

Comments

Sarah said…
These are fab beaded beads. I really like the combination of different beads that you used.
Unknown said…
Thank you Sarah!

I can't believe how fast they sell! I'm down two more, LOL!
Guess I'll have to get with it, and up production. ;)
Beadknitter said…
Is there a pattern somewhere for these? I'd love to learn how to make them.
Belinda Saville said…
Oh, how cool are these! I can see that the possibilities and combinations are endless...what fun! No wonder you're selling out fast ;)

I have to agree that you can't please all the people all the time! It's definitely something that has made me think twice about selling my work sometime down the track. I've seen so many bead artists lose their love of beading over custom work...sometimes it's just not worth the hassle. When there is no joy and it becomes a chore, it's time to say no!
Unknown said…
BK, I'm afraid I haven't done a tute for these particular beads, but I believe Gwen Fisher has similar beaded beads tutorials on her site, at Bead infinitum:
http://www.beadinfinitum.com/
Unknown said…
Thank you Belinda!

And yes, I almost did lose my beading love due to custom work. And selling on consignment as well. I really don't like the idea that some places literally demand a %50 cut of your profits for the privilege of carrying your work. And I really don't like the idea of jacking up my prices in order to get what I feel I deserve. So far, Etsy has been the fairest exchange I've found.
Christina J. said…
They are really great!
Unknown said…
Thanks Christina! :)
Elii said…
extremately beautiful! I love this beads!
Can you send me some instructions if you want please, thank you :)

Popular Posts